By: Bro. Obus, Odafe
As humans our emotions can change within a second. When our emotions change, we tend to change how we behave, thing and what we believe as well. Our emotion can make us strong or feeble. If our emotion is not morally guided there is tendency that we may take the wrong decision.
OBJECTIVE: The sermon is aimed to encourage and motivate Christians to be strong. As it is written the scriptures were recorded as examples for our learning, for reproof, for correction and instruction into righteousness (2 Tim 3:16, 1Conrin. 10:11, Rom 15:4)
OUR FOCUS IS ON THE CHARACTER OF ESTHER AND DANIEL.
Esther and Daniel have common characteristics in their stories.
- From slavery to the position of a queen in captivity
- From slavery to the position of a prime minister in captivity.
What are the secrets to thrive and to standing strong in captivity?
- FIRM DECISION MAKING:
- Go, gather all the Jews who are present in Shushan, and fast for me; neither eat nor drink for three days, night or day. My maids and I will fast likewise. And so I will go to the king, which is against the law; and if I perish, I perish!” (Esther 4:16)
- But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s delicacies, nor with the wine which he drank; therefore, he requested of the chief of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself (Daniel 1: 8).
- COMMITMENT AND PRAYER
- The two character (Esther and Daniel) not only made a thriving decision during their ordeal in captivity, also, they were fully committed in fasting and prayers in support of their decision. Daniel went home and did what he had always done, open the windows and kneel and pray.
- Daniel 6:10 and Esther 4:16
- “Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went home. And in his upper room, with his windows open toward Jerusalem, he knelt down on his knees three times that day, and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as was his custom since early days”
- SELF IDENTITY
- How can we thrive in an ungodly environment? Like Daniel did, we need to distinguish ourself in any environment. (Daniel 6:3). We see Daniel starting strong as a young man by resolving not to defile himself with the royal food and wine (Dan. 1:8).
- Because Daniel stepped out, Darius became a believer Daniel 6:26 “I make a decree that in every dominion of my kingdom men must tremble and fear before the God of Daniel. For He is the living God, And steadfast forever; His kingdom is the one which shall not be destroyed, And His dominion shall endure to the end”.
- It take great courage to stand strong and thrive in a challenging environment. As Christian we need courage to thrive in our present day world.
- 1 Corinth. 15:58
- Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you.
- Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labour in the Lord is not in vain.
Daniel demonstrates complete faithfulness on the Lord and sets an example that all Christian must follow. When he was threatened for his faithfulness to God, he responded with growing intensity in his dependence on the Lord and God rewarded his faithfulness, by allowing him to survive the lions’ den.
May God bless these words to make us thrive to standing strong In Jesus name.