Text: 1 Cor. 9 :27
By: Wilfred Atigbi
Whatever we do on planet earth requires commitment to achieve required objectives. Any individual who is assigned any task or targets would be required to deal with him or herself to achieve this purpose be it physical or spiritual. Narrowing it to our spiritual development demands greatly, making one to deal with himself more and stop blaming anyone his or her failure in the spiritual journey to heaven. (Rom. 12:1-3)
SOME AREAS OF CONCERN:
Man’s self is man’s greatest enemy: All evil thoughts such as fornication, adultery, murder, etc comes from man’s heart (Matt. 15:19)
Man’s inability to mortify or control self will lead to his destruction: Repent or perish says the Lord (Lk 13:3, Col. 3:1-10).
Man’s self and selfishness can mar his eternity: The rich ruler could not part with his possessions to help the poor due to selfishness. And Jesus said it will be very hard for such persons to enter into heaven (Lk 18:22-24)
- Man’s self and lust of the eyes can cause him much trouble: David’s five minutes’ pleasure with Uriah’s wife caused his household much trouble (2 Sam. 12:10).
- Man’s self and greed can cause him his life: Judas Iscariot for greed betrayed his master. He ended up committing suicide ( 27: 3-5)
- Man’s self and pride can cause him his life as well: Ahithophel was too proud of himself that when his counsel was rejected, he committed suicide (2 Sam. 17: 23).
- Man’s lack of self-control can cause him to lose his birthright: Esau’s lack of self-control made him sold his birthright to Jacob. He sought it afterwards with tears but could not find it. ( 12:16)
- Man’s love for the world can defeat his divine purpose and mission: Lot’s wife looked back obviously because of her love for the materials and money they may have left behind in Sodom and Gomorrah and she turned to a pillar of salt. ( 2:15-17, Rom 12:1-2).
- We all need to constantly examine ourselves if we right with God: (2 Cor. 13:5).
- Paul was able to deal with himself (1 Cor. 9:27).
- Jesus our savior was able to work on himself while He lived in this sinful world without sin. (1 Pet. 2:21-22).
- We all can work on yourself and overcome sin by living in the spirit ( 4:13, Gal. 5:16-18).
- Deny yourself, otherwise it will deny you of heaven, and you will not be happy being in hell. ( 3:1-10).
CONCLUSION: (Gal. 6:3-5). May God help us to deny ourselves and live for Jesus forever in Christ name. Amen.