By: Bro. Wilfred Atigbi
INTRODUCTION: All Christians are “house builders.” We are workers together with God to build up the kingdom. We work with our Lord to make the church what it should be. If one is not ready to build, you are on the part of destruction or to destabilize what others are building. Our Lord has no love for those who are not prepared to build or sit on the fence with no clear intention for the Church.
- THE LORD WORKED AS A WISE MASTER BUILDER, CONSTRUCTING THE CHURCH.
- Our Lord promised to build his church. (Matt 16:18)
- He is the foundation upon which the church is built. (1 Cor. 3:10, 11)
According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. 11 – For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
- (Matt21:42) – Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the Scriptures: ‘The stone which the builders rejected Has become the chief cornerstone. This was the Lord’s doing, And it is marvelous in our eyes’?
- THE LORD HAS COMMISSIONED CHRISTIANS TO DO THE WORK OF BUILDING UP THE CHURCH.
The church is a living organism, a living and continually being built up building.
- (Ephesians 2:21, 22) – in whom the whole building, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, 22 – in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.
- (1 Peter 2:5) – you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
- (Ephesians 4:15, 16) – but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head; Christ; 16 – from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.
- (1 Timothy 3:15) – but if I am delayed, I write so that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
- BUT JUST AS WE ARE LIVING “BRICKS” IN THE HOUSE OF GOD, WE ARE ALSO WORKERS TOGETHER FOR THE UP BUILDING OF THE KINGDOM OF GOD.
- (2 Corinthians 6:1) – We then, as workers together with Him also plead with you not to receive the grace of God in vain.
- (Ephesians 2:10) – For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
As any builders, we are responsible for our work.
- (1 Corinthians 4:1, 2) – Let a man so consider us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. 2 – Moreover it is required in stewards that one be found faithful.
- (1 Peter 4:10) – As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
Just as a building depends on the materials for the strength of the house one builds, the building of God is only as strong as the work and labor we put into it.
- 4. THERE ARE A NUMBER OF PRACTICAL THINGS WE CAN DO TO BUILD UP THE CHURCH.
- Attend all meetings of the church.
- (Acts 2:42) – And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.
- (Hebrews 10:25) – not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
- Invite others to come hear the Bible taught (Revelation 22:17) – And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.
- Pray without ceasing (1 Thess. 5:17), (Luke 18:1) – Then He spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart,
- Study the Bible regularly.
(Colossians 1:10) – that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God;
- Cooperate with the elders.
(Hebrews 13:17) – Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you.
- Give Liberally and Cheerfully.
(2 Corinthians 9:6, 7) – But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. 7 – So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.
- Have more sincere love for the Lord and others.
(Romans 12:9, 10) – Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good. 10 – Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another;
Each worker in the “church building” is important! Remember:
“I AM SIGNIFICANT!
Matthew 5:13-14 I am the salt and light of the earth.
John 15:1, 5 I am a branch of the true vine, a channel of His life.
John 15:16 I have been chosen and appointed to bear fruit.
1 Corinthians 3:16 I am God’s temple.
2 Corinthians 5:17 I am a minister of reconciliation for God.
2 Corinthians 6:1 I am God’s co-worker (I Corinthians 3:9)
Ephesians 2:6 I am seated with Christ in the heavenly realm
Ephesians 2:10 I am God’s workmanship
Ephesians 3:12 I may approach God with freedom and confidence.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”